[*BCM*] Be the change you want to see in the world & SUVs

Jon Ramos jontramos at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 7 13:55:39 EDT 2006

So when an oversize suv nearly runs me off the road because it is too wide to pass me safely, I should shout "I LOVE YOU!" ?

  - Jon

turtle <turtle at zworg.com> wrote:

greg at isoia.com,
Boston Critical Mass
wrote:

> Maybe we can discuss
> alternatives that are more effective in other areas of the country or need
> to be tried here first.

Effective solutions come when you really understand why something is
happening. If you want to reduce SUV use, you have to find out why
people own SUVs. In my experience, I've found that people own things
(anything really) because they believe that it fills a need. SUVs
probably fill, or should I say they SEEM to fill, the need for:

- Personal mobility
- Belonging/Fitting In to Society
- Safety
- Status (a poor replacement for love, I would say)

Am I missing anything?

Anyway, if you want people to stop using SUVs, you need to offer them
better replacements for those needs (or their more basic roots, like
love). Find ways to get people around efficiently and safely, and help
society to find ways to reward people with love and a sense of belonging
in a way that is more in line with your morality and higher purpose. So
this, and I will guarantee you will have much success.

-Turtle

http://mail.yahoo.com