[*BCM*] The movement that divides us

turtle turtle at zworg.com
Mon Jun 5 12:39:43 EDT 2006

The bully may temporarily seem to have more power, but in the end,
society itself always defeats the antisocial bully.  Plus, do you
really want to live your life as a bully?

The reason that England ultimately wasn't defeated by Hitler and his
Nazis wasn't because they were bigger or more aggressive, it was
because they were more compassionate and worked together for a more
moral and loving goal.  It's not about being a doormat, it's about
finding an effective and healthy solution to our problems and showing
everyone that the solution is in their best interests.

If you believe that a hierarchical system is the way to go for traffic,
then by all means go out there and convince society that it's the way
to go.  And when you are doing it, make sure you aren't being devisive,
like this:

> As long as I'm getting honked at, told to get off the road, doored,
> barnstormed, flipped off, and whatever, I'm going to run those goddamned
> lights.

I understand that many people operate with an "oppositional" philosophy.
 You're either with me, or you're against me!  In my experience, this
stragegy isn't as effective as a collaborative philosophy.  In my
experience, when I work WITH others, I get more cooperation than when I
work against others.  And I really, really want people to cooperate with
me when I'm out on the roads.  I can't be safe without their help.

In light of that...  How can we help eachother?  What is your ultimate
goal for a happy, healthy road?

> Getting pissed at cyclists who run reds is like telling people who are =
> poor
> to quit complaining about it and work for minimum wage, if they do =
> they'll
> get rich. Yeah fucking right.=20

In what way?  Are you implying that the poor are being disrespectful or
doing illegal things to get that way?

And, anyway, I'm not pissed off at cyclists who run red lights, I'm just
saddened, and occasionally harmed by them.

-Turtle