[*BCM*] Fwd: [phonography] Cycling recordists

Eamonn Kelly kellyir at bc.edu
Sat Jan 7 16:34:59 EST 2006

yes! time for a physics lesson from an unqualified dude who hasn't taken any physics in 3 years!
it does indeed make the wheel harder to turn, as stomv says.  think of any given point on a rotating wheel.  at any instant, that point is travelling outward in a direction paralell to the curve of the wheel at that given point.  but as the wheel rotates, that point will resist a change in direction b/c it's momentum is in that particular direction.  thus, the heavier the wheel, the more momentum any particular point has, and the more resistance it will offer to changing direction, i.e. to rotation.  TA DA!  this episode of mr. wizard has been brought to you by ovaltine.

any real science people wanna corroboate that for me?

eamonn

p.s. it still sounds like a cool idea and may in fact be more efficient for powering a light.