[*BCM*] Somerville/Cambridge Critical Mass Ride

Thomas John Vitolo tjvitolo at bu.edu
Thu Jan 5 10:16:24 EST 2006

I live on the Boston/Brookline line, but would certainly ride in both the Boston
and the Cambridge/Somerville CM ride.

The fact is, I can't always make the Boston ride, so having more choices would
probably result in me riding in *more* CMs, not fewer.  There is a chance of
dillution, but there's also the chance of more exposure, more new riders, and
more opportunities to get our "message" of riding bikes out.

I'd ride in it, although I won't volunteer to post fliers.

As for the politics crap, since there is no person organizing CM, there is
certainly no pre-defined political bent, be it neo-con, lefty, or anarchist.
The fact is, if you're prepared to ride your bike with the group and be civil
with the rest of the group while understanding that it really is a collection of
individuals with at least one uncommon viewpoint, then you're very welcome to join.

In fact, I'd love it if some neo-cons or otherwise conservative folks joined us.
 They might have fun, enjoy the ride, and recruit new riders -- who might also
begin to think about the relationship that cars, foreign policy, domestic
policy, and the environment have -- and might share those thoughts with their
like-minded friends.  What better way to spread the message of better living
through bikes than by preaching to the "unsaved"?

 - stomv
Support a few technologists in Washington.  Go to:
http://actblue.com/list/stomv