[*BCM*] Somerville/Cambridge Critical Mass Ride

Jym Dyer jym at econet.org
Thu Jan 5 04:28:09 EST 2006

> Has there ever been a Somerville/Cambridge Critical Mass ride?

=v= There ought to be.

> I just moved here from New York and they had Manhattan the
> last Friday of every month and Brooklyn the second Friday
> of every month.  I guess it would just be a matter of me
> advertising it, but I am wondering if there is any history
> of this.

=v= Dunno about the Somerville/Cambridge side of history, but
you could join the fine tradition of having the 2nd Friday of
the month devoted to the smaller yet in some ways hipper city
across the water.

=v= It took only 3 people and 1 flyer to get the Brooklyn
Critical Mass started.  It helped that 2 of us had independently
thought up the same starting location and date (2nd Friday of
the month!).  We flyered the bridges that people biked across,
bike shops, Food Coops, biker bars, etc.

=v= Totally easy!  I highly recommend it.

=v= As for history:  We didn't know whether there'd been a
previous Brooklyn Critical Mass.  I later dug up evidence of
a short-lived ride by that name from 5 years earlier, but it
didn't really matter.  The one we've got going is excellent.
    <_Jym_>

P.S.:  I just had to change the subject line, so that this idea
wouldn't be buried under a spinoff of a thread that some people
may have bailed out of at the part about the hegemony of quote
non-violence unquote being bothersome.