[*BCM*] Re: [swrannounce] undercovers uncovered by video analysts - links

Lee Peters lfpeters at gis.net
Mon Jan 2 12:46:20 EST 2006

I bought/watched the Still We Ride video, but have never ridden in NYC.  The
video seems one-sided, perhaps due to no response from NYPD.  I got a
clearer idea of the NYPD position from the Amy Goodman interview on
Democracy Now.

Some thoughts:  (but prepared for a flaming)

-So what if the police are in our midst, and undercover?  Yes it is an
invasion of our political space, but I bet many of us believe in an open
society.  Our group has to follow its own standards, no?

-I am proud of CM, I love participating in it.  I do so for many reasons.
If I am videotaped participating in non-violent protest/riding my bike,
kudos to us for actually participating in the Process.  Do people actually
lose jobs because of their political action? -Please clarify.

-If a bottle or rock is thrown, well that is illegal.  Perhaps the bottle
thrower should be in another group altogether, or in jail for the violent
protest.  I am guessing that the CM population subscribes to non-violence
without specifically stating it.  As soon as violence and property damage
begins, I won't see you until the next month, and the next month, until it
stops.

-Biking is legal, no?  The better part of the video was the clear
establishment of, or work toward, peacefully gathering in public space.  The
NYPD power must be checked on that basis through the courts/ordinances.  The
video inspires resistance to suppression.  The suppression is taking the
form of arrests, impounded bikes, and division of the gathering.  Is NYPD
action beyond that (meaning the undercover stuff) illegal/unconstitutional?

-NYPD leading CM into a trap or dividing for arrests are perhaps a product
of CM's loose organization.  Remember the bit about no leader?  Well that
simultaneously helps us and makes us vulnerable.

I hope if there is a flaming, it is by those who have actually ridden CM at
least once.
Peace.