[*BCM*] LivableStreets E-Bulletin #10

Jeff Rosenblum rosenblum.jeff at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 12:58:01 EST 2006

Click here to view this ebulletin in your web browser
http://www.livablestreets.info/files/newsletters/ebulletin10.htm

Contact Jeff Rosenblum 617-939-3824, jeff at livablestreets.info, for more
information.

--------------------

INTRODUCING LIVABLESTREETS ALLIANCE

We are excited to announce that we have become The LivableStreets
Alliance, advocates for a comprehensive transportation network that
improves the quality of urban life in Boston. The Boston Bicycle
Planning Initiative is now a project of LivableStreets. We formed this
organization with the belief that advocacy for better transportation is
more successful when framed terms of improving quality of life. It's not
just about better subway service, more bike lanes or pedestrian friendly
intersections- it's about bringing all the different pieces together to
create more livable streets.

  LivableStreets takes a big-picture, collaborative approach to the
city's transportation challenges and opportunities, balancing transit,
biking, and walking with autos. We are committed to safe, reliable, and
sustainable transportation that accommodates all users, including
children, elderly, underserved, and persons with disabilities.
LivableStreets is guided by the belief that strong, diverse, and
equitable urban transportation options have the power to make Boston a
more vibrant and dynamic city.

  We continue to collaborate with important advocacy organizations, such
as Alternatives for Community and Environment, Somerville Transportation
Equity Partnership, WalkBoston, Adaptive Environments, and MassBike, and
we are constantly engaging new partners to strengthen our network.
Working together, we strive to make Boston a better place to live, work,
and play.

  It's 2006 and tension continues to build around the future of
transportation in Boston following completion of the Big Dig. Transit
commitments are behind schedule and still in jeopardy, while available
funds for pedestrian and bike bridges connecting new downtown
greenspaces are dwindling. But there is reason for hope. Advocates are
very pleased to have several strong leaders at the helm: Dan Grabauskus
at MBTA, Steve Burrington at the Department of Conservation and
Recreation (DCR), and Doug Foy at the Office of Commonwealth
Development. It is encouraging to see the increased level of
collaboration between agencies and advocates- for example, the DCR's
comprehensive snow removal plan, which was announced last week, involved
significant partnership (see article below). LivableStreets is excited
to be a part of this process!

In this issue
*  WHAT'S GOING ON? NEW CALENDAR!
*  DCR SNOW CLEARING PLAN
*  COMMONWEALTH AVE. NEAR B.U. TO GET FACELIFT
*  STREET RENAISSANCE IN NYC
*  MASS. FACES CUTS IN ROAD PROJECTS
*  WEIRD NEWS: CARPOOL LANES AND PREGNANCY