[*BCM*] MassBike February Update

Dorie Clark bikexec at massbike.org
Thu Feb 2 11:13:14 EST 2006

MassBike February Update

Free Bicycling Presentations at the West End Branch Library in Boston: Feb.
9 and 23

Join MassBike at the West End Branch Library in Boston (151 Cambridge

Street, near the Charles/MGH T stop) on Thursday, Feb. 9 for an evening of
bicycling-related presentations hosted by MassBike board member John Allen,
author of "Bicycling Street Smarts." John will speak about his time as a
juror at the Taiwan International Bicycle Design Competition and will
introduce Lynette Chiang's bicycling film "16,000 Feet on a Friday." On Feb.
23, the East Coast Greenway Alliance will share a presentation about the
2004 Greenway tour. Both events take place from 6:00-8:00 p.m., and are free
and open to the public.

MassBike Volunteer Night: Please Join Us on Tuesday, Feb. 21

Gourmet pizza from Picco, friends, and envelope stuffing! We really need
your help with our monthly membership mailing. Please join us from 5:00-8:30
p.m. for our monthly Volunteer Night, sponsored by Picco in the South End.
It’s a great way to have fun and help the cause. (Please note: for 2006, our
volunteer nights have shifted to the 3rd Tuesday of every month.) You can
find us at 20 Park Plaza, Ste. 528, Boston (Arlington T stop). Secure bike
parking available; please email for details. Please RSVP to
bikeinfo at massbike.org.

Concerned about the Storrow Drive Reconstruction?

The state’s Department of Conservation and Recreation is having two public
meetings on the Storrow Drive Tunnel Reconstruction Project. Please consider
attending and identifying yourself as a bicyclist. It is imperative to
protect safe bicycle access during this reconstruction process. The meetings
will take place:

Monday, Feb. 13, 6:30-8:30 p.m., Gardner Auditorium, State House, Boston
(enter through Bowdoin St. door, allow extra time for security)

Wednesday, Feb. 15, 6:30-8:30 p.m., Shriner's Hospital for Children,
Auditorium, 51 Blossom St., Boston, off Cambridge St.

Winter Bicycle Social in Arlington on February 16

Join the Arlington Bicycle Advisory Committee (ABAC) for an indoor Winter
Social get-together on Thursday night, February 16, at the
Whittemore-Robbins House in Arlington Center.  The ABAC Winter Social will
feature presentations on various on-road and pathway connections to the
popular Minuteman Bikeway.  In addition, bicycle-map publisher Andy Rubel
will speak about his local bicycle maps, pocket rides, and other bicycling
publications.

For more information, visit ABAC's website here

http://www.abac.arlington.ma.us

Register for MassBike’s Bicycling Skills Classes: Boston, Waltham,
Arlington, Foxboro, and more

Want to learn how to ride your bike more safely and confidently in traffic?
Come to a free, off-bike presentation of our “Introduction to Bicycling
Safety” class taught by certified League Cycling Instructors. We also teach
all-day, on-bike safety classes (Bicycling 101 and Bicycling 201), which
cost $40 for MassBike members and $50 for non-members. No matter how
experienced you are, these tips will help sharpen your game. We’ve just
added new classes in Foxboro and Boston--reserve your place now!
Introduction to Bicycling Safety plus Bicycling 101 and/or 201 are
pre-requisites for becoming a League Cycling Instructor. For more
information on these classes or to RSVP, email bikeinfo at massbike.org.

Click here to learn more about our Bicycling Skills classes and register

http://www.massbike.org/skills/classes.htm

Special Deal: Save Money at Simple Living Cycles and Help MassBike!

MassBike supporter Simple Living Cycles of Framingham is offering a complete
bicycle tuneup for $10 to anyone who makes a matching $10 donation to
MassBike.  The tuneup includes complete cleaning and lube, truing wheels,
and adjustments of hubs, bottom bracket, derailleurs, brakes, headset, stem,
etc.   (New parts not included).   The bike shop will also offer 35% off of
list price on any new Fuji, KHS, or Jamis bike for anyone making a $20
donation to MassBike. Offer ends February 28th, 2006.    Please call Simple
Living Cycles, 508-620-6600, or e-mail paltman57 at verizon.net for more info.

Click here to make your donation and we’ll notify Simple Living so you can
enjoy your special deal!

http://www.active.com/donations/campaign_public.cfm?key=simple

Come to National Bike Summit with MassBike: March 1-3, 2006

The National Bike Summit, organized by the League of American Bicyclists, is
an annual bicycle advocacy conference and day of lobbying federal
legislators to support bicycle projects and funding. Each year, MassBike
leads a delegation from Massachusetts. If you’re a bike shop owner or
worker, a bike commuter, a recreational rider, or any kind of burgeoning
advocate who cares about improving bicycling conditions in Massachusetts,
please consider joining us. The Summit runs from Wednesday, March 1-Friday,
March 3. Participants will be responsible for their own conference fees
(payable to the League of American Bicyclists) and food/lodging. Early bird
rates expire February 3.

For more details and to register, click here

http://www.bikeleague.org

Mass Red Ribbon Ride 2006 Registration Incentive Kickoff

The Mass Red Ribbon Ride, which benefits HIV/AIDS organizations in
Massachusetts, has a special deal for early registrants. If you register—or
recruit a friend to register—before Feb. 27, you’ll be entered to win great
prizes, including a brand new Fuji Ace 2005 Model Road Bike, donated by Quad
Cycles; an overnight stay at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Pittsfield, where
riders and crew gather prior to the event; or a Starbucks gift basket
including a $50 gift card.

To learn more and to register, click here

http://www.massredribbonride.org

MassBike Festival Registration is Now Online

Reserve your place now! Registration is now open for MassBike’s 4th Annual
Bike Festival, which drew a record-breaking 400 participants last year. This
fun-filled event will take place on Saturday, August 26 at Verrill Farm in
Concord, and will feature new variations on classic rides such as our
challenging 100K, our delicious ice cream ride that stops at area scoop
shops, and our low-key family ride, suitable for participants of all ages.
Don’t forget the Pie Race, in which riders down three pieces of pie en route
to victory. Lock in your discounted, early bird rates. Registrants during
the month of February will get your choice of a free gift: a new Bell helmet
or large Avenir cycling gloves, donated by Continental Resources; or cat
cycling socks, donated by Dr. Sox. While supplies last.

Click here to learn more and register

http://www.active.com/event_detail.cfm?event_id=1279387

The Ride Magazine is Hiring

The Ride Magazine, the Arlington-based journal of East Coast Bike Culture,
is hiring a 20 hour/week Office Manager; two part-time Editorial Assistants
(some travel is required); and a Sales and Marketing Assistant who will sell
print and web advertising targeted toward a bicycling audience. Send resumes
and references electronically to dfries at gis.net with the headline
“APPLICANT.”

To learn more about The Ride, click here

http://www.ridezine.com