[*BCM*] Motorist gets slap on the wrist for killing a cyclist

Lisa Williams lisa at cadence90.com
Sat Dec 2 13:01:01 EST 2006

As an example of  the extreme entitlement of people in cars over people
on foot or on bikes, I offer this story:

http://www.cadence90.com/wp/?p=4466

A driver in a Lincoln Navigator, talking on a cell phone, exiting a
fast-food drive through, crushed a mother to death while she was
carrying her infant.  Her husband and five year old witnessed her
death.  The infant survived after being dropped to the pavement.

This guy is not going to jail because the local DA's office declined to
press charges.  To my knowledge he's still driving around.  I guess
everybody thinks the fact that he was traumatized and has to live with
the guilt is enough.  I'd send his car to the crusher, and it'd be a
tossup on whether he'd be in it.

turtle wrote:
> Moz <list at moz.geek.nz>,
>

>> In this case I don't think she's willing to accept responsibility for
>> her actions. So the very least she should get is a criminal
>> conviction. It would be far, far better if she was willing to front up
>> and say she's sorry, and that she won't re-offend. But since she
>> hasn't, and she definitely hasn't offered to give up her car, or even
>> stop using her phone while driving, what option do we have? Sorry, but
>> I don't see an alternative.
>>

> She did apologise.  Quite specifically.
>
> Peace, Love, and Bicycles,
> -Turtle

Lisa Williams
lisa at cadence90.com
Google Talk: lisatmh

http://www.placeblogger.com
The Journalism & Lived Experience of Real Places on the Web
Get in on the Placeblogger.com alpha: email lisa at cadence90.com

Places I blog:
Lisa Williams' Blog:
http://www.cadence90.com/wp/

H2otown, a citizen journalism site for Watertown
http://h2otown.info