[*BCM*] Motorist gets slap on the wrist for killing a cyclist

Moz list at moz.geek.nz
Sat Dec 2 06:39:31 EST 2006

michaela said:
> yes, she should have to take more responsibility for her driving,
> ... the "justice" system ... need help, not to have their lives
> basically completely ruined by entering into a cyclical, and
> positively cruel, judicial system... it is the system that is at
> fault, and it is the entire judicial system, not just the written
> law.

I'm interested that you call it a justice system, even in scare
quotes. It's a legal system, or more accurately in the US, it's part
of the political system.

The question I have is: given that this is the system we have, what
better outcome could we get? I'm all for campaigning for a better
legal system, necessarily starting with a reformed political system,
but until there's consensus in the country that the system needs to
change I don't see any real hope for reform. Is it then better for us
to campaign against enforcement of the laws, perhaps against use of
the legal system altogether?

> it is frustrating that the system favors cars so enormously over
> cyclists. it is extremely frustrating. but i don't think the right
> solution is to demonize individuals, especially when we don't know
> them or exactly what they are going through.

In this case I don't think she's willing to accept responsibility for
her actions. So the very least she should get is a criminal
conviction. It would be far, far better if she was willing to front up
and say she's sorry, and that she won't re-offend. But since she
hasn't, and she definitely hasn't offered to give up her car, or even
stop using her phone while driving, what option do we have? Sorry, but
I don't see an alternative.

There is no justice, just us.
Moz