[*BCM*] Bikes Not Bombs' Opening Bash! 12/8

Jasmine Laietmark jasminebikesnotbombs at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 1 16:40:52 EST 2006

OPENING PARTY:
Celebrate Bikes Not Bombs’ New Home
FRIDAY, DECEMBER 8, 2006 - 6:30-10:30 pm
Brewery Bldg K – 284 Amory St. – Jamaica Plain, MA

Bikes Not Bombs invites you to a celebration on Friday, December Eighth in honor of the opening of the new Bikes Not Bombs Hub. In its 22nd year as a grassroots organization, BNB is moving its bicycle recycling and education facility to Jamaica Plain’s Brewery Complex at 284 Amory St. Please join BNB’s teens and their families, bicycle enthusiasts, long-time supporters, and new neighbors as we push workbenches aside to make room for a party! Crafts will be for sale by our Girls In Action youth group, a raffle of crafts and bike paraphernalia will entice you, a local Ethiopian band and a steel drum band will warm you up, and teen spoken word performance poetry will keep it cool. Face painting and fun for younger folks will be offered. Laria Foods will generously provide delicious vegetarian Middle Eastern cuisine, and more treats TBA.

We have a lot to celebrate; this long-term home will provide a larger, more energy efficient base for most of BNB’s youth development and community building programs, our offices, and our international development work. The new Hub is the culmination of hundreds of hours of volunteer construction work, and the party is a chance to show appreciation for our dedicated volunteers and supporters who made an extra stretch this year during an epic capital campaign (still not over). All are welcome: friends, guests, and community members!

Bikes Not Bombs now diverts about 4,500 bikes annually from the Boston-area waste stream and puts them to good use by providing programs for local youth and aid to international bicycle projects, including pedal-powered technology development endeavors. Over 1,600 local young people have been empowered by programs in BNB’s bike center, and BNB has shipped donations of over 25,000 bikes to eight counties over the past 22 years. Almost 3,000 recycled bikes have already been sent in 2006 to New Orleans, El Salvador, Ghana, and South Africa - our greatest quantity ever in one year. More growth: The BNB Bike Shop, offering full-scale bicycle retail services and vocational training will be expanding into a separate building from the Hub. The new shop will re-open in their new Jamaica Plain storefront at the corner of Amory St. and Green St. this December!

Visit www.bikesnotbombs.org for more information.