[*BCM*] Boston Bikers

. nevele symboliceon at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 19 22:33:01 EDT 2006

It's definitely not easy to be a friendly bicyclist in this city, and I
would assume the same goes for most others. After being doored by a BTD car
in December 2 years ago, then after re-orienting myself to see that the 66
had also nearly ran over me (bike was halfway under the front of the bus)
I've pretty much lost faith in any humans in motion. I'm 6'1, 185lbs, ride a
stupidly heavy Trek mountain bike (dreaming up road bike perfection for when
I can afford it) and am reminded daily on my way to and from work that I
have a hidden cloaking device somewhere on my bike. Even at night when I've
got my Don't-Hit-Me lights blaring, pedestrians will throw themselves at me,
drivers will see only street lights or lights from other cars, and trains..
well, 2 days ago a B line train blew through the 4-way walk signal at Comm.
and Harvard that I normally rely on.

Even among cyclists there're different types of riders who basically only
get along during CM. You probably know what I'm talking about.

Events like CM are great, fun things, but the overall focus of events
specific to certain ways of life should be getting humans in general to
develope a greater awareness of eachother.

In the meantime, if I'm running late for my crappity ass job in Brookline
some Sunday morning, and you happen to be the 'weekend warrior' sort of
cyclist throwing a wave my way, I can't even begin to describe the apathy
behind my lack of a response.

:D

                        -jb