[*BCM*] editorial for today

turtle turtle at zworg.com
Thu Aug 17 18:40:21 EDT 2006

Boston Critical Mass <list at bostoncriticalmass.org> wrote:

> Except for:
>    Bicyclists should stay at the edge of the right hand lane when there
>    is not a bike lane, unless making a left turn, in which case they can
>    use the left lane.

Yeah, would someone please send the Globe a letter clarifying that this
is not a law?  Bicyclists have EXACTLY the same requirements and rights
for using the entire roadway as all other vehicles - for the most part,
it's stay in the RIGHT TRAVEL LANE unless passing or turning.
(Cyclists may be permitted to ride in shoulders, but the law is not at
all clear on this.)

Oh, and only signs on limited access highways can legally prohibit
bicycling.  ALL other roads and "highways" are open to cyclists no
matter what weird signs someone has put up (*cough*Martha's
Vinyard*cough*).

I'd do it, but I already send the Globe too many letters, and I think
they just ignore me now :-)

Peace, Love, and Bicycles,
-Turtle