[*BCM*] Re: Infinite MPG?

turtle turtle at zworg.com
Thu Aug 17 13:39:55 EDT 2006

Technically, the energy efficiency (calories/mile) of a bike is the
equivalent to something like 1150 mpg, not quite infinity...  Though
the ultimate efficiency of any vehicle varies drastically when you
factor in what resources were needed to produce the energy and where
the energy is coming from:

Oil from Iraq = a huge amount of resources used to create and deliver
the energy.
Windmill on the top of the hill nearby = a moderate amount of resources
used to create and a small amount used to deliver the energy.
Pesticide grown fruit from Tasmania = a moderate amount of resources
used to create and a large amoung used to deliver the energy.
Intensively farmed cows from the Midwest = moderate amount of resources
used to create and deliver the energy.
Organic berries grown in your backyard = a very small amount of
resources used to create and deliver the energy.

This article on Treehugger has the details, and it even mentions CM!

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006/07/world_most_ener.php

Peace, Love, and Bicyles,
Turtle

A human being is a part of the whole, called by us 'universe,' a part
limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and
feelings, as something separate from the rest -- a kind of optical
delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for
us, restricting us to our personal decisions and to affection fo a few
persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this
prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living
creatures and the whole nature in its beauty."

~Albert Einstein