[*BCM*] Bike Shops

Rachel Elizabeth Dillon red at mit.edu
Wed Aug 16 11:23:25 EDT 2006

On Wed, Aug 16, 2006 at 10:37:35AM -0400, Biggianthead888 at aol.com wrote:
> Hey all,
> I'm a biker from New York and moving to Boston at the end of the  month.  I
> was wondering if anyone knew a good (read: not too expensive)  shop in the
> city.  My old ride was stolen a few days ago and I want to get  a new one as soon
> as I get in the city.  If anyone has any info I would  really appreciate the
> help.  Also, do the Boston critical mass rides  experience as much police
> harassment as we get from the NYPD?  Just want to  know if I should leave some
> traffic ticket room in my budget...

Lee's recommendations are excellent; to toss in another, I personally
go to Paramount Bicycle (paramountbicycle.com) in Powderhouse Circle in
Somerville. Tyler, the owner, is especially good with fixed-gear bikes,
and also has a knack for fitting frames to people with odd body sizes.

From talking to friends in NYC (I've not lived there), the cops are nicer
to bikers here, but the buses are much worse.

-r.