[*BCM*] remember

Lee Peters lfpeters at gis.net
Sat Sep 3 09:41:00 EDT 2005

CM
This is from Bikes not Bombs and may be relevant.  CM went together to the site where Ms. Malone was killed by a motorist to spend a few silent moments, so that would be the connection.  Plus, people that do CM knew her.   Bikes not Bombs rides aren't like CM rides except for the numbers.  BnB people like an orderly, organized ride.  So if you go... you know.... respect their ways.

KIRSTEN MALONE MEMORIAL BIKE RIDE
Saturday October 1st, 2005

Kirsten Malone used to rent a studio downstairs from Bikes Not Bombs.  She died in a bike accident in the summer of 2004.  Here are words from Jasmine Laietmark, a Bikes Not Bombs volunteer and lead organizer for the upcoming memorial ride:

"I am a friend of Kirsten Anne Malone, an amazing woman whose sudden passing was due to a bicycle accident in Allston, MA in June of 2004.  A magnetic member of the arts and music communities in Boston, she was young, vibrant and well-known for her own epic endeavors as well as her unwavering support for the work of others. Her friends and family set up a permanent scholarship in Kirsten's name.  The award will benefit women media artists at Massachusetts College of Art, the country's only public art college and Kirsten's alma mater.  In order to set up a permanent scholarship, we need to raise an endowment; we need enough money to have the scholarship paid out of each year's interest without
diminishing the principal.

Our largest fundraising event will be a memorial bicycle ride through Boston, Allston, and Cambridge to be held on October 1, 2005, Kirsten's 31st birthday.  We expect at least 75-150 riders, and each rider is asked to collect pledges for the scholarship fund. The ride will also focus on bike safety and advocacy issues.

RIDERS: to get full details on the ride or to get a brochure mailed to you, email Jasmine at laietja at yahoo.com.  You can also call Bikes Not Bombs for info closer to the ride date, and brochures will be available on the front counter at BNB.

BUSINESSES: business sponsors will be recognized at the after-ride event.  Everyone who participates will see that your business supports local art and music communities as well as bicycle safety and awareness, as we work to do something meaningful to remember our friend.  Your check would be made out to MassArt Foundation with Kirsten Malone Fund in the memo section.  It will be tax-deductible.  Additional donations, such as safety equipment, beverages, or anything else, are also sought.

- Sincerely, Jasmine Laietmark and Friends of Lady K"