[*BCM*] More on "Elite Middle Class" Massbikes

turtle turtle at zworg.com
Wed Oct 5 18:37:55 EDT 2005

eew at postmaster.co.uk,
	Boston Critical Mass <list at bostoncriticalmass.org> wrote:

> Yes, fines in general are unfair, but there are only three options availiable to
> law enforcement:
> *Ignore
> *Fine
> *Jail

There are other options!

- Education for the offending party (California offers trafic law
violators a driver's ed class so they can learn to be better drivers)
- Compensation for the victim (not necessarily monetary, for example the
violator could fix something that was broken, or provide a service for
the victim, or simply do community service hours)
- A simple apology, and addmitance of responsibility (my husband was hit
by a woman in an SUV and all he really wanted was for her to admit she
was wrong)

For law enforcement to work well, it needs to be flexable, and the
punishment should not only fit the crime, but it should also make
things better for all involved, and inspire people to avoid committing
the act again.

-Turtle