[*BCM*] riding

contraelolvido at riseup.net contraelolvido at riseup.net
Tue Oct 4 11:12:15 EDT 2005

> Boston Critical Mass <list at bostoncriticalmass.org> wrote:
>>
>> >So the poor will stop this lousy behaviour more quickly, no? Quadruple!
>>
>> This is exactly the kind of classist bullshit Massbike is famous for.
>
> Um, Lee was joking...  And Lee doesn't represent MassBike.

This of course is why he continuously comes out in favor this position on
this list... I asssume his last 4 e-mails were joking as well? And of
course he represents massbike. Maybe not in a techincal 'official'
legalistic way that might seem important to you if your caught up in the
group's bureaucratic nuances, but when anyone is a visible part of an
organization their actions de facto speak for that organization.
Especially when their behaviors are repeated by other members of that
organization, even if none of them are its 'spokespersons'.

>> and legistlating for laws that make
>> critical mass-ing a criminal offense.
>
> The only laws MassBike is working to legislate are:
>
> - making it legal to ride MORE than single file
> - making it illegal to open a car door and hit a cyclist
> - moving the age of helmet requirement up to 16 (there is no fine,
> though, just a verbal warning)
> - putting the laws making it legal to bike on the roads in the main
> traffic section (rather than in the weird section it is now where no
> one can find it)
> - making it a law that police officers need to know what the laws are
> for biyclists, so they don't discriminate against us and tell us to
> "Get off da road!"
> - adding bicycle awareness training and testing to the RMV's program
> - adding bicycle educatation to public school programs
> - forcing the T to be responsible for possible environmental
> contaminants on property leased to cities and towns to be used for
> multi-use paths

You forgot making it a criminal offense to not have an ID while riding.
Anyhow that discussion was already fleshed out a month or two ago. So much
for the collective memory of a list.