[*BCM*] riding

turtle turtle at zworg.com
Mon Oct 3 19:45:03 EDT 2005

Boston Critical Mass <list at bostoncriticalmass.org> wrote:

> What is an HPV?  Human Powered Vehicle?

Yep.  I'm trying to get into the habit of using "HPV" as an inclusive
term, rather than be exclusive with the term "bicycle", since I think
diversity and solidarity are great tactics for a better world.

> It is shocking that enforcement of this kind costs money, when the
> punishment is a fine.  Double, or triple the fines until you can afford it
> or don't need to do it.

An intersting proposal.  Problem is it unfairly targets poor people, who
will be really harmed by a large monetary fine, while the rich can just
shrug it off.

In Sweden, I believe, fines for violating the law are based on a
percentage of your income.  A neat trick.  But not likely to be used in
the US, where wealthiness is synonomous with godliness.

As for education, start with the cops......no wait,
> they have drivers' licenses, the same ones we do.  THEY AREN'T DOING THIER
> JOBS.  So, I guess my base reaction is to install infrastructure to do the
> job that the police aren't doing.

Infrastructure can only do so much.  It's certainly part of the
solution, though.

> It is relative.  It would not be called 'special' in Europe.  It is more
> integrated.

I'm not sure what you are getting at here.  There are plenty of
dedicated bike lanes and paths in Europe.  That's what I mean by
"special", as opposed to including bicycles as part of normal traffic.

> I don't know how to make people nicer, does anybody?

There are lots of ways to help people be nicer.  Making sure they have
their basic needs met (food, water, security, a home, a healthy
environment, a way to support their families, etc.) is a fantastic way
to relieve people's stress, which will turn off their "fight or flight"
hormones, and turn on their happy hormones.  Being friendly and
compassionate to them is good too.  Making sure they are not crowded
into a tiny space with hundreds or thousands of other people is another
one.  Allowing them access to lots of beautiful nature is yet another.

I agree that good road design is important.  But good road design to me,
as a cyclist is a nice clean, with a relatively flat and level surface
that is wide enough to allow faster traffic to pass at least
occasionally, and that has some clear indication of right of way,
especially at intersections.  Anything more than that seems a waste to
me.  This is the kind of road I grew up riding on, and it worked
extremely well for me and seemed to work quite well for others.

-Turtle