[*BCM*] Scattered Thoughts on Massbike, Police, and Class

Pete Stidman pstidman at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 2 16:33:59 EDT 2005

maybe I should have used young instead of hip.  I
wouldn't label you a hipster either, but among the
younger set lifestyle can become a fashion and biking
can become part of that.  I could aslo substitute the
word culture for fashion here, but in the end you get
my meaning.

There is a crowd in which everyone is on the bike all
the time.

This is where I think the split is, not tactics.

It's between city bike commuters of a more direct
action bent, and more recreational bike users of a
more change it from the inside persuasion, with lots
of grey in between.

You could also break it up by the reasons why peole
choose to commute by bike.  Some are for health, some
the cheap transpo, some the environment, others
because they oppose capitalism or mega corporations
that run the oil biz.  These different motivations
probably inspire different tactics.

Oh, and I didn't mean to say imply that the change it
from the inside out folks were better by calling them
pragmatic.  You might've been quick to react to that.
I would say that things like the bike festival would
have been better with if it was part of a campaign
with demands or somehow pinned the mayor down instead
of offering him a greenwashing opportunity.

The mayor loves to make speeches for good causes, he
loves them even more when all he has to do is show up.

Anyway, not to stomp on toes in that direction either.
 Trying to be constructive.  If I had volunteered my
time I'd feel better about criticizing but I didn't do
much for biking this season except ride and educate a
few drivers loudly.

-Pete