[*BCM*] Re: [...OFFLIST...] The Velorution will not be digitized

Jym Dyer jym at econet.org
Sat Nov 5 22:18:00 EST 2005

> PLEASE unsubscribe me from this list.

=v= When you send "unsubscribe" requests to an email list,
it lands in the mailboxes of hundreds of people who can't
unsubscribe you.

=v= I can't unsubscribe you.  Try the stuff below.  Clip 'n'
save it for future reference.  Don't respond to me.  AGAIN,
I can't unsubscribe you.  Only you can unsubscribe you, for
this and any other email list.
    <_Jym_>
=============8<=============Cut-Here=============8<=============

             How To Unsubscribe From Any Email List

For the purposes of this memo, let's assume you're on an
email list called WHATEVER.

=0= Look at the messages you've been getting on the list.
Do they have "how to unsubscribe" messages near the end,
or up in a "List-Unsubscribe:" header?  If so, follow those
instructions.

=1= If it's a list hosted by Yahoo Groups or Topica, there's
an "-unsubscribe" alias for this purpose.  For our
example, either <WHATEVER-unsubscribe at yahoogroups.com> or

For the rest of this memo, let's assume that the WHATEVER list
is at SITE.EDU -- that is, the alias is <WHATEVER at SITE.EDU>.
(If the list has a name like "WHATEVER-L", you should try
step 4 first.)

=2= Otherwise, first send a request to the "-request" alias.
For our example, that would be <WHATEVER-request at SITE.EDU>.
This is usually read by a human being, so write accordingly.

=3= If you get no response from the above, send mail to the
"majordomo" alias.  That's <majordomo at SITE.EDU> for our example.
If the list is administered by the majordomo software, you'll
get instructions for unsubscribing mailed back to you.

=4= If you get no response, send mail to the "owner-" alias.
For our example, <owner-WHATEVER at SITE.EDU>.  This should go to
the human who administers the list.

=5= If you get no response, send mail to "LISTSERV".  For our
example, that address would be <LISTSERV at SITE.EDU>.  The text
of your message should be "SIGNOFF WHATEVER".

=6= If you get no response, send mail to the "listproc" alias.
For our example, that address would be <listproc at SITE.EDU>.
The text of your message should be "unsubscribe WHATEVER".

=7= If you get no response, send mail to the site "postmaster".
For our example, that address is <postmaster at SITE.EDU>.  Mention
that you tried the previous five steps, to no avail.

=8= If you get no response, send mail to "root".  Our example
address is <root at SITE.EDU>.  Mention that you tried the previous
six steps, to no avail.

=9= If -- and only if -- all the above fail, send a message to
the list itself.  Make it courteous, particularly since the vast
majority of the people reading it can't do a thing about it.
The message should say something like, "How do I get off this
list?", not "UNSUBSCRIBE."  Try to avoid setting off a bunch of
"me too" messages by saying something like, "Please don't chime
in with a bunch of 'I want to unsubscribe too' messages."