[*BCM*] Still We Ride Screening Proposal

Time's Up!Still We Ride timesupswr at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 22:27:20 EST 2005

Dear Fellow Activist:

I am writing to tell you about Still We Ride, a powerful new documentary
about the suppression of free speech and free assembly as manifested by the
City of New York's attacks on the monthly Critical Mass ride, which has a
10-year history of peaceful traffic calming in NYC.

On Friday, August 27, 2004, just before the Republican National Convention,
the City launched a massive police operation to discourage public
participation in the week of RNC-related demonstrations. That night, over
5,000 bicyclists took part in Critical Mass, and 264 were arrested in one of
the largest mass arrests in the city's history.

Still We Ride documents the August 2004 ride before the arrests began and
the chaos that followed. The movie also chronicles the continuing police
crackdown on cyclists in New York, including arrests and bike seizures,
which have occurred monthly since September 2004. The film also covers and
the time-consuming, expensive court battles, including the city's current
lawsuit against Time's Up!, our 18-year-old Manhattan-based environmental
advocacy group, for promoting the leaderless Critical Mass ride.

Time's Up! is working in conjunction with the producers of Still We Ride to
get the word out about the City's reactionary response to Critical Mass and
the national implications for free speech and freedom of assembly.

We need your help. If you can arrange for a screening of Still We Ride, we
will send you a DVD of the film. After any costs you might incur, we request
that the proceeds you collect benefit the advocacy efforts of Time's Up! and
the film's producers, who have yet to recoup their production costs.

More information on Time's Up! can be found at http://www.times-up.org, and
you can view a trailer of Still We Ride at
http://www.stillweridethemovie.com. If you can coordinate a screening in
your area, please contact timesup-stillweride at gmail.com. Please also feel
free to circulate this email (and share the DVD) with other groups that may
be interested.

Thank you for your support. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Bill DiPaola
Executive Director
(and all the volunteers at Time's Up!)