[*BCM*] busycle

Lee Peters lfpeters at gis.net
Sat May 21 14:32:04 EDT 2005

Your idea identified in the website looks interesting.  I hope it takes off.

I don't know how much experience you have with CM, but I will pretend
you only have a little.  CM doesn't really get organized into anything
beyond meeting the last Friday of each month.  There have been occasions
in which we had a 'mission'.  Once, a single person made an announcement
on the list that we were going for donuts.  Then he made a map and
passed it out to the group at the ride.  The group followed the map,
with some leadership at the front of the pack by a couple of
participants.  Once, I managed to lead the group to JP to join another
ride (the BnB Halloween ride).

Usually, however, there is no mission.  The pack just goes along looking
for fun/interesting/visible places to ride.  There may be
interchangeable leaders during a single ride.  I personally don't like
to lead, but I have lead when I thought we were going in an
uninteresting direction.  We often end up on Newbury St & Downtown,
sometimes in Allston or JP, often in Harvard Square.  Once a bicycle cop
'protecting' us at the special DNC ride asked me "who's in charge" & my
honest answer was "nobody, this just happens."

I have a couple recommendations:

1.  Take the busycle down to Copley Sq. at 5:30 on July 29.  If a bike
holding 10 people shows up, I guarantee the group will follow you.  IF
that is what you want.
2.  Make a map, then get some help from a couple riders to get the pack
to go where you're talking about.  It would require your direct
leadership at the ride to pull this off.

Surely you know of this:
http://www.conferencebike.com/
A bike like this joined us on a CM many years ago.  I hope the bike
shows up, perhaps the hype of a 10 person bike will create a Mass larger
than our wildest dreams.