[*BCM*] NYCCM: Civil Rights Rally -and- Multi-Mass Last Night

Julia Asherman weelittlebopeep at hotmail.com
Sun May 1 13:03:40 EDT 2005

Hey, I, along with two other bostonians were arrested in NYC for
participating in the critical mass.  We know that many more than 18 people
were cuffed, arrested, and held in prision.  i was number 29, and have an
arraignment in NY with others on June 7th.  The charges will most likely be
parading without a permit and at least one count of disorderly conduct.  We
were given violation, but this will undoubtedly be a big hassle.  All of the
bikes of those who were arrested were kept as "arrest evidence" and might
not be given back  untill all charges are dropped (at earliest in June).
There are NY orgs that are helping us to get our bikes back sooner, but this
might not work. We spent about 3.5 hours in jail, and no bail was involved.
I know that at least 3 paddywagons full of captives were taken, 11 were in
mine.  Some minor wrist injuries were caused by cuffs, and some property was
stolen (form me personally 10 pins and my helmet).  It was clear that the
police were arresting at randokm untill all wagons were full.  myself and
the two others i was with were arrested even though we were sitting on a
stoop on the sidewalk with our helmets off and our bikes next to us.  While
it could have been at lot worse, it still sucks and we appreciate the
support form our home city.

love,
Julia