[*BCM*] Observation

list at moz.geek.nz list at moz.geek.nz
Mon Mar 7 18:32:23 EST 2005

Quoting Anne Wolfe <goannego at yahoo.com>:
> 250 people turning out once is not 300 people turning out every month.  Which
> is what happens in Sydney.

Actually, in Sydney numbers range from 30 or so in winter up to 1500+ in summer,
but normally at the moment it's more like 50 (summer!). We're in a slump at
the moment due to lack of organising energy caused at least in part by a
vocal minority insisting that we cooperate with the Police etc while not
helping, thus sucking energy out of the Mass. The Police, of course, are
also not being very useful and for a while had a habit (policy?) of harassing
leaders in a most genteel and civilised way (by repeatedly and emphatically
telling them that they were responsible for everything that happened on the
Mass, so they needed to do ... to keep everyone safe. It wears you down really
fast if that happens every time you do or say anything leader-like).

Tony and Anne, if you want something to happen *set it up*. Be a positive
force for change, not a negative one. The upside of anarchy is that there
is no rule saying you're not allowed to organise your own Mass, even one
at the same time as the current one. Chicago used to meet up fairly often
as I recall, so the two Masses would merge at some point. There's no reason
that can't happen in Boston, it's about to happen in Sydney. I like it as a
strategy for changing the Mass.

Moz