[*BCM*] Observation

Anne Wolfe goannego at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 7 17:16:06 EST 2005

I think that CM as a display of bike strength would be wonderful in terms of making
Boston more bike friendly.  I think that if CM was friendlier, starting with to other
CMers, not only would those who've ridden before and have been put off (and there are
many of us) come back, but they would bring people with them.  And I think that if CM for
a start only occupied one lane of traffic, rather than blocking all lanes, so as to back
up car traffic for miles (and thereby pissing off people who can't even SEE CM, much less
decide if it might be a good thing), it would be seen by more people as a "bikes and cars
can coexist" rather than an either/or proposition the way the argument gets cast now.

I also think that the chanting of "two wheels good, four wheels bad" doen'st help, and
neither does the boom box.
--- tony siddall <anthony_siddall at hotmail.com> wrote:
---------------------------------

To rephrase- I'd be interested to hear people describe a plausible theory of change that
describes how critical mass brings the goal of making Boston, the US, or the world more
bike friendly closer to fruition.

Moz's description is irrelevant here, since CM represents only a tiny fraction of the
people who ride their bikes in the city. Moreover, though Moz might be an anarchist and
ride CM, not everyone who rides CM is an anarchist--many, I'm sure, believe that
organizing is the best method to bring about change.

I genuinely would like to discuss this- I'm not trying to challenge anyone's right to
ride CM. I'm just interested to hear whether people think that riding in it advances a
cause the believe in, and how.

>From: Moz <list at moz.geek.nz>
>To: Boston Critical Mass <list at bostoncriticalmass.org>
>Subject: Re: [*BCM*] Observation
>Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 07:53:56 +1300
>
>tony siddall wrote:
>>Turil started to get at this, but I would be interested to hear
>>someone articulate CM's theory of change;
>
>Can I just ask that people try to remember that Critical Mass is not
>an
>organisation, does not have a viewpoint, does not have a purpose,
>and
>cannot speak with one voice? Please, it's not that hard: critical
>mass
>is a bunch of anarchists on bikes[1]. That's it. Simple, really.
>
>So when you ask "what does Critical Mass want", the question
>inherently
>cannot be answered. Perhaps replace "critical mass" with "everyone
>in
>america" if that helps.
>
>So ask "what is everyone in americas theory of change?"  Does that
>make
>it more obvious that there is no one answer?
>

>Personally, my theory is that Critical Mass as an agent for change
>works
>in a very simple, very direct way. It is purely an answer to the
>allegation that "no-one rides a bike in this city". Anyone who says
>that
>  can be told "so what about the 300 riders in Critical Mass every
>month?" at which point suddenly lots of people ride AND THEY MUST BE
>STOPPED.
>
>Which leads nicely into "how do you stop critical mass" and the
>answer
>seems to be mass arrests/shoot a few of them; or build bike
>facilities.
>Christchurch, New Zealand crushed Critical Mass out of existance by
>making the city cycle friendly and responsive to cyclists soncerns.
>It's
>a lot easier than the other way...
>
>And FWIW there seems to be no way to make Mass acceptable to people
>as embedded in the system as Anne is. Even Sydney where Mass is
>legal and supported by the cops (and riders are friendly and helpful
>and give out happy fliers to motorists) still gets people like her
>saying "if you'd just stop being disruptive..." You can't win.
>
>Moz in Sydney, Australia
>[1] anarchists, meaning people who want not to have an organisation
>rather than as a generic term of mindless abuse. But hey, take it as
>you
>will.

I know exactly what I want right now.  I want a hot shower, and I want the Clash. - me.  3/4/05, 7:42 a.m.

NEW E-MAIL!  goannego at gmail.com