[*BCM*] Why do you ride in CM?

Robert Arnold rsarnold at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 12:28:15 EST 2005

Noise pollution with boomboxes?  As opposed to the sweet sounds of
delivery trucks and blaring cabs?  That's pathetic.

Critical Mass is first and foremost a protest ride.  That means
gettting a little noisy, a little in-your-face, and, yes, a little
funky.  The mass rides slowly and takes up both lanes of traffic to
make a point:  it wants to get in the way, and it wants, to some
extent, to piss drivers off.  The point to make is awareness:  whether
you like it or not, we cyclists are here.  If there are friendly faces
in the mass, it's because there's a liberation to riding with so many
unified people, just out enjoying their bikes and free of the constant
harrassment that many of us go through on a daily basis.  Personally,
I've had water bottles lobbed at me for daring to yell at a truck who
nearly killed me on an underpass.  Critical Mass is our opportunity to
protest that kind of lunacy.  (I mean, you almost *killed* me.  Dead!)
 Is it against the law for the mass to go through a red light?  Yes,
but how many laws are broken routinely by drivers in this city,
without adequate enforcement?  Double-parked cars, speeding through
intersections, sudden lane changes without signaling, etc.  Presumably
these infractions are being enforced, but I've witnessed all of these
behaviors by vehicles in the proximity of police cars with no
consequence.  What about enforcing the laws that require the city to
fix potholes?  What about lanes that are poorly marked?  These are
factors that physically endanger cyclists, and contribute to an
overall hostility that cyclists feel levied against them and that
result in these monthly protest rides.  People are making a lot of
noise about how the law is the law, and that's fine, but the if laws
are being unevenly applied, then that's something that needs to be
addressed.  The fastest way for people to address an unfair practice
is through protest.  Other organizations can be polite and work with
the lawmakers and traffic cops and dudes in SUVs.  That's neither the
function nor the desire of Critical Mass.  Are you pissed because some
prick in a BMW thought it was funny to grab your arm as he was
passing?  Then come out to Copley Square on March 25th and let's take
back the streets for a few precious hours.  Because, ultimately,
nobody cares whether Critical Mass is a parade or not.  That's just a
distraction from the real issue.  We're not trying to convert any
drivers to our cause (though plenty of drivers do show their support),
and we're not saying that Critical Mass is the most effective tool to
change anybody's mind.  But it sure is a sight to see when several
hundred bikes roll across the MIT bridge without fear and without, for
once, being cowed by the speeding freight trucks and busses.  That's
why I ride in Critical Mass, and I think that's why it was conceived
in the first place.  Is it effective to our cause to block traffic?
Who cares.  It's necessary, and it's safer, and it feels awesome.

Rob