[*BCM*] Parades vs. travelling on a bike

Chung-chieh Shan ccshan at post.harvard.edu
Mon Mar 7 11:02:37 EST 2005

On 2005-03-06T19:45:34-0800, Anne Wolfe wrote:
> A group of pedestrians who cross at a crosswalk in violation of the
> traffic laws could well be a parade.  They're unlikely to get busted
> for such, as a) it is a pretty quick parade meaning it is unlikely
> the cops will arrive in time, and b) there are plenty of other laws
> covering this sort of thing (jaywalking springs to mind.)

> But think about it.  Two people decide they are going to cross a
> crosswalk a 10.00 a.m., whether or not there is traffic coming,
> whether or not the light is in their favor, just because it is 10.00
> a.m.  A short parade, but definitely a parade.  Turn it 90 degrees and
> picture these same two people walking down themiddle lane of traffic.
> Just one block.  Parade?  Yes.  Small one, crazy one, but still
> parade.  The crosswalk only changes as to the regs of when traffic has
> to stop for them.  In some states, the law is that traffic always has
> to stop for pedistrians in a crosswalk.  Therefore, the flow of the
> traffic IS that it has to stop if this condition is present.  Not a
> parade.

> Getting a bit nuanced, but I hope you see my point.  And if you don't
> think my arguments are reasonable, fine, but it would help if you'd
> provide your own definitionof a parade.

Nuance is all it's about. (:

You seem to be saying that anything that's legal according to traffic
laws is not a parade (hence the crosswalk laws of the particular state
is relevant).  Would you say, then, that if Critical Mass were to follow
all traffic laws, then it would not be a parade (and so would not need a
permit)?  Obviously, "follow all traffic laws" in the previous sentence
must exclude any restrictions on parades, or we'd be making a circular
definition.  Note that traffic laws require vehicles behind to pass only
when safe, but does not require vehicles ahead to yield just because it
is moving slower.

--
Edit this signature at http://www.digitas.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/ken/sig
Dude or his dudeness or el duderino