[*BCM*] Parades vs. travelling on a bike

Jym Dyer jym at econet.org
Sat Mar 5 01:24:49 EST 2005

>> How many vehicles/pedestrians must be travelling together
>> (communally agreeing to travel in the same direction, and
>> going the same place) before a permit is necessary?  2, 4,
>> 10, 50, 100?
> X where X is less than the number of morons who had to ruin
> it for people by doing it during the RNC.

=v= Forgive me for making another attempt to interject some
actual facts here.

=v= August 27, 2004, was not during the RNC; it was two days
before the RNC started.  It also happens to be the last Friday
of the month.  Chris Carlsson _et_al_, in San Francisco, were
the ones who came up with the "last Friday of the month" idea.
They failed to forsee that, 12 years later, NYC would have a
Republican mayor who'd inflict the RNC on the city an schedule
it for the last Sunday of the month.  I guess they're the real
morons.

=v= NYC law defines a "demonstration" as 20 or more people
(and does not require a permit).  The definition of "parade
or procession" (which do require permits) specifies no number.
In Chief Bruce Smolka's testimony he admits there's no number
and claims he can decide any amount he wants, even seven:

http://www.cars-suck.org/trans1208.txt

For a public official to assert so much discretion to commit
prior restraint is a profound civil rights issue.
    <_Jym_>

P.S.:  Smolka has a history of trouble with numbers.  The
unit he led in 1999 apparently felt it was necessary to put
41 bullets into Amadou Diallo, who was unarmed.