[*BCM*] Parades vs. travelling on a bike

Lee Peters lfpeters at gis.net
Fri Mar 4 21:30:35 EST 2005

....and so goes the endless debate between non-CM and CM.  You non-CM
er's can be so obvious, esp. when you scold.  I wonder why you guys
monitor our list.  Is it because we, that participate in the ride, are
vital and rich in our passion?  Is it interesting for you to hear about
our authentic adventure each month?  Come on out and scold us live and
in person & enjoy a genuine confrontation.  The fun and the moment will
take over, and no one will listen.

Let's try to consider the un-organized gathering that produces
congestion and delays on the streets EVERY DAY, TWICE A DAY.  It is
called rush hour traffic.  No penalties for this individual, but
congruent behavior when the citizen is in their car.  The laws don't
include the biker in a way that advocates for this superior form of
transport.  The design of the streets are often anti-bike too.  There is
no representation, in the mean streets, except once a month.

I would be curious to know what was the activism or were conditions that
created the bicycle paradises of Amsterdam or Berlin.  Was it an annual
"fun ride" through Somerville with a bunch of hippies?  Was it the
un-subsidized gasoline?  Was it a critical number of bike-auto
accidents?  Was there a protest or demonstration, or a monthly parade?
Was it a reality of a dense urban environment?

Peace to all, because you bike.