[*BCM*] Martin Luther King would like to comment on CM.

Anne Wolfe goannego at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 3 17:41:18 EST 2005

turtle <turtle at zworg.com> wrote:
"... but the more important issue is that the police
are using the "parade" law as an excuse to harass bicyclists off of
public streets, and to discriminate against a minority."

Um, actually no they're not.  MLK and his group were denied parade permits because they were black.  Were CM to apply for a permit and have it denied because of who they were, then the law would be being applied unfairly and the police would be using the law as an excuse to harass bicylists off public streets and discriminate against a minority.  What the police are doing now is enforcing the law against people who don't have a permit to parade, and not just CM.  CM is certainly being affected, but it isn't just them.  Random cyclists just pedaling throughout Manhattan aren't being arrested for parading without a permit, and I have yet to hear of them being discriminated against or being harrassed off the streets.  CM on the other hand, has been informed of the law, is intentionally flouting it, and then saying it is unfair if they get caught or harrassed.

Since according to this: http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2005/03/03/testimony_begins_in_suit_by_cyclist_arrested_in_2001/ from today's Globe, CM (and I have to say this made me giggle bearing in mind what I've heard hear in the past couple of years) is a "national group of bicycle advocates who try to ''win motorists over to the idea that on a bicycle you can travel faster than a car." maybe CM needs to either a) fall into line on the parade law or b) get their civil disobedience into better order.

Um, ac

"When the going gets tough, the tough get weird." - R.I.P. Hunter S. Thompson

goannego.com - for the latest in where she's gone this time

http://mail.yahoo.com