[*BCM*] cambridge po-po

lungfish lungfish at fastmail.fm
Mon Jun 27 11:13:16 EDT 2005

Everyone's comments have been pretty spot on about cambridge, though I
disagree with the supposed effectiveness of calling up government
officials to request that their enforcement branch kindly cease their
abuse of cyclists.
Anyways, I forgot to write this before:

Don't talk to police,
again
DON'T TALK TO POLICE

In general I think people dealt pretty well with keeping the mass going,
but going slowly enough to not totally leave behind those temporarily
detained. As there were only two cops, it could have been better if
everyone just stopped until they were let free, or reinforcements
arrived.  But anyway, the main problem I see besides that obviously
caused by the cops themselves, is riders trying to convince them why our
cause is so great etc etc. They don't care, they're not going to care no
matter how much you talk to them! Nothing good ever comes of talking to
police when they've stopped you; you simply <b>ask if you're being
detained, nothing else, </b>and leave as soon as you can as to avoid
tickets and/or arrest.
I've read accounts of a guy being arrested with boston critical mass
after cops tried to stop it, and he stopped to propagandize the 5-0,
instead of going on his way.  Of course that arrest isn't justified in
the least, but don't put or allow yourself to be put in a dangerous
position.