[*BCM*] cambridge

Max Harless mharless at wesleyan.edu
Mon Jun 27 09:35:28 EDT 2005

Mmm... bicycling in Berlin. Yes, it is bicycle nirvana here. But it
has a number of things that even money couldn't recreate in Cambridge:

- People who are driving actually know how do drive; many don't even
bother to learn, because it's so expensive and such a pain in the
neck. People spend 3 to 5 whole seconds craning their necks to look
for bicycles before making a right turn -- I see this all the time --
because they know the bike lane has the right of way at a green
light... and what's this thing about right before left? They'll just
sit there as long as it takes me to figure out I have the right of
way.

- Most everyone has been on a bike since they were tiny (this is a
little frightening to watch, sometimes)

- It hardly snows here. (well... they SAY it snows, but I never saw a
plow THIS winter). (Does there exist a bicycle paradise with snow?)

- Sidewalks the size of Central Sq. would be considered minimal...
There must be room for pedestrians, bike paths, huge trees... and
cafe tables for the jobless.

...And so much more.

Traffic calming, though... that works everywhere. Particularly the
creation of dead ends and other inconveniences for cars, but not
bikes.

Amsterdam... that's more like an amusement park ride, with no safety
features. I'm not really sure it's safe; it's just a lot of fun.

As for CM in general, I would amend Lee's prose-poem somewhat
tritely... It'll happen if you make it happen. It's so easy.

max