[*BCM*] Bostoncriticalmass

turtle turtle at zworg.com
Fri Jun 24 18:10:15 EDT 2005

> Lee Peters wrote:
> > So how long do we wait for a traffic light that is triggered by a hulking
> > piece of metal over the top of it?  Do we wait all night until a cage shows
> > up?

What someone else said... treat it as the malfunctioning light that it
is (in other words, stop, then proceed with caution when the way is
clear of cross traffic) and then call Cambridge Public Works (or
whatever town the light happens to be in), and let them know that you
think the sensor is not calibrated properly.  Traffic departments are
only just starting to understand how to calibrate these things so that
they will detect bicycles (even aluminum ones).  The more friendly
nudging they get about it, the more they will start to do it
automatically (and maybe test it out, too).  Engineers are generally
cool people, at least from my experience with Somerville's Traffic and
Parking folks.  Most of them like bikes, even if their bosses don't!

Peace, Love, and Bicycles,
-Turtle

---------
"One day we must come to see that peace is not merely a distant goal we
seek, but that it is a means by which we arrive at that goal.  We must
pursue peaceful ends through peaceful means." - Martin Luther King Jr.