[*BCM*] Boston Bicycling: E-bulletin #4

Jeff Rosenblum rosenblumj at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 05:47:41 EDT 2005

Critical Mass:

For those interested and who aren't already aware, a new bicycle
advocacy group has formed last November 2004 focusing on Boston called
the Boston Bicycle Planning Initiative (aka Bike-The-Hub). You can learn
more about us at http://www.bikethehub.org.

Below is our latest e-bulletin newsletter. You can sign up for future
newsletters by clicking here:

http://visitor.constantcontact.com/optin.jsp?m=1100363936187&ea=

Note that we are looking for volunteers to help out with a wide variety
of activities, one of which is assisting with a survey of road and
intersection conditions (especially post winter-05) using a GPS device
and digital camera. But there are so many other things needed-- see the
call for volunteers below.

Please let me know if you have any questions about our activities, or
contributions to the newsletter.

Best,
Jeff Rosenblum
jeff at bikethehub.org
http://www.bikethehub.org

Click here to view the current newsletter in your web browser:

http://www.bikethehub.org/ebulletin4.htm

e-bulletin #4
June 6, 2005

Hello,

We celebrate our 6-month anniversary this month with over 500
individuals on our e-bulletin mailing list! Launched in November 2004,
the Boston Bicycle Planning Initiative (BBPI) seeks to make Boston a
more bicycle-friendly city. We are recognized by other bicycling,
pedestrian, and transit advocates, officials and politicians in Boston
and other neighboring cities, planning agencies, and regional government
agencies such as the MBTA and Department of Conservation and Recreation
(DCR).

Please help spread the word! Forward this e-bulletin to anyone you think
would be interested, or direct them to our website
http://www.bikethehub.org.

In this issue

* Feature article:

SAN FRANCISCO BICYCLISTS BECOME ESTABLISHMENT

* MAYOR MENINO SIGNS BIKE PROCLAMATION
* WE NEED VOLUNTEERS!
* NEWS: US SENATE PASSES TRANSPORTATION BILL
* NEWS: STATE ANNOUNCES MBTA EXPANSION
* CALENDAR & EVENTS
* SUN. JUNE 12 -- GREAT BIKE RIDE: "The Wild Ride"
* NEWS: 2500 CYCLISTS HIT THE STREETS OF DUBLIN

MAYOR MENINO SIGNS BIKE PROCLAMATION

In early May as part of the National Bicycle Greenway Mayor's Ride, a
five-leg 51-city tour to show how bicycling can improve the quality of
life in our urban areas, Boston's Mayor Menino signed a "bicycle
proclamation" welcoming bicyclists to the City of Boston. This, along
with the Mayor's endorsement of the upcoming Boston Bicycle Festival
on September 25, 2005, are positive indications that Boston might
actually begin to take seriously the need to improve safety and increase
opportunities for bicyclists in the city. Click here to view the
text of the proclamation.
http://www.bikeroute.com/NationalMayorsRide2005/Boston/BostonProcLg.jpg

The National Bicycle Greenway is envisioned as a nationwide network of
interconnected bike friendly roads and bicycle pathways that will
connect cyclists to major cities all throughout the US.

Click here for more information -
http://www.bikeroute.com/NationalMayorsRide2005

WE NEED VOLUNTEERS!

The Boston Bicycle Planning Initiative is seeking people like you to
help make Boston a better place for bicycling. Currently we are
operating entirely with a volunteer staff (though we expect to receive
funding for a staff person in the near future)-so we need your help. No
previous bicycle advocacy knowledge or skills required!

There are a wide variety of tasks and projects to suit even the
fussiest of volunteers: big and small, one-time and continuous,
technical and creative, field observations and computer work, solo and
group projects, activist stuff with an edge and research/ office tasks.
Contribute a little something, learn a little something, and have fun in
the process with others interested in bicycle advocacy. You will work
with committed, knowledgeable, and creative bicycle advocates who will
help set you up with a volunteer activity that suits your interests and
time availability.

Email jeff at bikethehub.org for more information.

NEWS: US SENATE PASSES TRANSPORTATION BILL
(From AMERICA BIKES, www.americabikes.org)

The Senate passed SAFETEA, its version of the federal transportation
bill, on May 17th, with significant provisions to benefit bicycling and
walking.  Final passage occurred just minutes after the Senate
decisively rejected (84-16) an amendment offered by Senator Sessions
that proposed drastic reductions in funding for transit and the CMAQ,
Enhancements and TCSP programs.

The margin of defeat of the Sessions amendment was overwhelming, sending
a powerful message that programs that fund transportation alternatives
are important elements of federal transportation policy. This is
important as the House and Senate head into conference committee to work
out differences between the two bills.

If the best of the House and Senate bills are combined during the
conference committee, people who walk or bicycle will benefit from a
strong new Safe Routes to School program, as well as continued funding
for Transportation Enhancements, Recreational Trails, and other popular
programs.

Safe Routes to School Program The Senate bill includes a Safe Routes
to School Program, a critical new program that will make is safer for
children to walk to school.  However, the Senate funding level of $312
million is inadequate.  America Bikes is seeking funding at the House
level of $875 million along with the inclusion of House policy language
in the final bill.

Fair Share for Safety This provision would direct states to use their
federal safety funding in proportion to the percent of fatalities among
different road users.  Right now most states spend less than 2 percent
of their safety funds on bicycle and pedestrian safety, even though
13 of traffic deaths nationwide are on foot or bicycle.  This provision
is not in the House bill.

Conserve By Bicycling Program This new program establishes 10 pilot
projects throughout the country that conserve energy resources by
encouraging the use of bicycles. Unfortunately the funding provisions
were stripped before passage. In it's current form the bill instructs
the U.S. Secretary of Transportation to establish the program but
identifies no resources for implementation.

Core Programs: The Senate bill continues funding for Transportation
Enhancements, a primary source of funding for bicycling and walking, as
ten percent of the Surface Transportation Program.  Funding is also
continued for Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality (CMAQ). Both of
these are in line with the House bill. The Senate bill includes funding
for the Recreational Trails Program at a level of $270 million, below
the House level of $503 million.  This program uses a portion of federal
gas taxes for off-road recreation. The Senate bill continues funding of
a National Bicycle and Pedestrian Clearinghouse, as does the House bill.

What's Missing:

* Non-Motorized Transportation Pilot Program This program would help
several communities complete non-motorized transportation networks, to
demonstrate that bicycling and walking can carry a significant share of
trips.  It is funded in the House bill at $25 million a year, but is not
in the Senate bill.

* Complete Streets was offered as an amendment by Senator Harkin in
final Senate debate, but fell just short (44 in favor, 53 opposed).
This provision would have required states and regions to adopt policies
to ensure that all road projects accommodate people who walk and
bicycle. It is not in the House bill.

* High-priority projects fund specific projects by Congressional
district.  They are a prominent part of the House bill, but are not a
part of the Senate bill.

Click for more information -
http://www.americabikes.org/SAFETEA%2520highlights.asp

NEWS: STATE ANNOUNCES MBTA EXPANSION

State officials announced on May 18 that Somerville's Union Square would
get a separate branch of the Green Line extension. The list of
commitments totals $770 million and calls for building stations on the
Fairmount Line, which runs through Hyde Park, Mattapan, and Dorchester;
doubling service on the Worcester-Boston commuter rail line; and adding
1,000 parking spaces at as-yet unspecified commuter rail and transit
stations throughout the Boston region.

The roster of projects does not include two on the original 1990
list: restoring the Arborway trolley service in Jamaica Plain and
building a connection between the Massachusetts Bay Transportation
Authority's Red and Blue subway lines.

Their absence has upset some environmentalists, who say they will
continue to pursue a federal lawsuit seeking to force the state to
follow through on the original list of transit commitments. ''What we're
really concerned about is that we're getting one transit commitment,
as opposed to the package of transit commitments the Commonwealth has
long promised the people of Boston," said Philip Warburg, president of
the Conservation Law Foundation.

The new list now goes to regional planners and to state environmental
regulators for their review. The projects would be funded by a mix of
state and federal money.

The largest of the projects by far would be what officials are calling
the enhanced Green Line extension, which would include branches with
trolley service to both West Medford and Union Square, similar to the
various Green Line branches in Boston, Brookline, and Newton. At an
estimated $559 million, it would be one of the largest MBTA expansions
since the mid-1980s and is scheduled to be completed between 2011 and 2014.

Click for more information - http://www.somervillestep.org/

CALENDAR & EVENTS

FOR A GREAT LIST OF RIDES, SEE:
http://www.landrys.com/Pages/events.html

PHOTO EXHIBIT: Robert Fine is having
a bicycle-related photo exhibit in and around Central Square in
Cambridge. Check out his works from June 1-30 at Carberry's Bakery on
74 Prospect Street.

BNB ADULT MECHANICS COURSES. Learn to repair your own bike!  These are
"basic" mechanics courses which give you the skills to do a full
tune-up, plus more advanced work overhauling rotational systems.
Classes cover bike fit, flats, brakes, gears, and adjustments and
overhauls of hubs and headsets. Each course meets at Bikes Not Bombs
(Jackson Square T stop, Roxbury) once a week for 5 weeks. Cost is $100
A: Thursdays, 7-9pm June 2nd-June 30th; B: Tuesdays, 7-9pm, June 7th -
July 5th; C: Thursdays, 7-9pm, July 14th -August 11th; D: Tuesdays,
7-9pm, July 19th-August 16th. : Click here for more information.
http://www.bikesnotbombs.org/adult-prog.htm#ad-mech

June 12:
BOSTON BICYCLE FESTIVAL MONTHLY RIDE. Nature's Urban Places - Guided
tour of the city's "wild places." The Wild Ride was a great
success last year, so with a few updates, here it is again!  This is a
guided tour of Boston's urban wilds, including Allandale Woods in
Roslindale and the McLaughlin Woodland and Historic Orchard on top of
Mission Hill, and a bunch of interesting hidden wild spots close by.
We'll stop for informational talks about the importance of these spaces,
the problems with invasive species, interesting plants and foods you can
forage, and info on where and when to harvest free fruit from community
orchards planted by Earthworks in some of these spots!  We'll provide
mechanical support and ride marshalls.  Co-sponsored by the Boston
Bicycle Festival, Earthworks, and Bikes Not Bombs.  The distance will be
about 15 miles, with lots of stops for walking through the city's
natural oases.
Click here for more information:
http://www.bostonbikefestival.org/default.asp?go=rides

BLACKSTONE RIVER EXPEDITION 2005. From Wednesday, June 15- Saturday,
June 18, participants will canoe, kayak, hike and bicycle along the
Blackstone River Valley in Central Mass and Rhode Island.
Click here for more information. http://www.blackstoneexpedition05.com/

BROADWAY BIKE SCHOOL CLASSES. Basic Class- Series of 5 classes, 2 hours
each. Repair a flat... learn how to adjust your bearings, brakes, and
gears... learn about chains, lubrication, general maintenance and
diagnosis. Wednesdays, June 15 - July 13, 2005, 6:30 - 8:30 PM; Mondays,
June 20 - July 25, 2005, 6:30 - 8:30 PM. Women-Only Basic Class- Learn
basic bicycle mechanics in a women-only environment. Classes are taught
by professional women bike mechanics. Series of 5 classes, 2 hours
each. Repair a flat, learn how to adjust your bearings, brakes, and
gears. Learn about chains, lubrication, general maintenance and
diagnosis. Sundays, June 12 - July 25, 2005, 6:00 - 8:00 PM.
Click here for more information.
http://www.broadwaybicycleschool.com/classes.html

June 16: MASSBIKE VOLUNTEER NIGHT. Pizza, friends, and envelope
stuffing! From 5:00-8:30 p.m. on Thursday, June 16. It's a great way to
have fun and help the cause. At MassBike offices, 20 Park Plaza, Ste.
528, Boston (Arlington T stop). Please RSVP to mike at massbike.org.

June 20: MBTA RIDERS OVERSIGHT COMMITTEE MEETING. 4:30 - 6:00 pm.10 Park
Plaza, 2nd Floor, Conference Room 1, 2 & 3. (Boston).

June 24: BOSTON CRITICAL MASS. Last Friday of every month, 5:30pm,
Copley Square. Click here for more information.
http://www.bostoncriticalmass.org/

June 28: WALKBOSTON ADVOCACY COMMITTEE MEETING. 75 State Street 5:30 pm
- 7:00 pm, RSVP needed for building security, 617.367.9255 or
info at walkboston.org.

June 29: HEARING ON MASS. BICYCLIST BILL. The Bicyclists' Bill of Rights
and Responsibilities (H. 1411) will have its next hearing with the
Public Safety Committee on Wednesday, June 29 at 10:00 a.m. in the State
House's Hearing Room A-2. Click here for more information.
http://www.massbike.org/projects/legislation.htm

NEWS: 2500 CYCLISTS HIT THE STREETS OF DUBLIN

To kick off the world's largest bicycle conference, Velo-City, held this
year in Dublin, 2500 local cyclists celebrated with a 10km "critical
mass" ride through the city with police escort on closed streets!

500 attended the conference from around the world which ended last
friday, including about a dozen from the United States; most, though,
were from Europe.

The overall theme of Velo-City 2005 is "Delivering the Vision". There
will be a strong focus on a vision-led, integrated strategy approach to
the development of cycling. Underpinning the theme is the recognition
that each city is unique; its aspirations, culture, economy, objectives
etc. are non-standard; and the role of cycling in each city is highly
variable. "Delivering the Vision" should appeal to cities that are
wondering, "Where do we start?", or to those who are disappointed at
their achievements relative to cycle-orientated cities in Holland,
Denmark and elsewhere.

Boston Bicycle Planning Initiative Coordinator, Jeff Rosenblum, attended
the conference and plans a series of presentations during the summer and
fall with interesting and exciting highlights from the conference sessions.
Click Here For More Information - http://www.velo-city2005.com/

Feature article:

SAN FRANCISCO BICYCLISTS BECOME ESTABLISHMENT

By Gregory Dicum
SF Gate,
May 25,
2005

"My first Critical Mass was really an eye opener," Leah Shahum told me.
"I had never thought of bicycling as a political thing, as a part of a
social movement. Riding with a thousand people just felt so empowering.
It felt different: I felt safer, I felt more confident. These were good
feelings."

That was 1996, shortly after Shahum had moved to San Francisco a few
years out of college. It was the period when Critical Mass established
San Francisco as the epicenter of militant bicycling culture, as
thousands of bikers swarmed in a usually joyous and always chaotic
monthly leaderless parade. A decade later, Shahum is executive director
of the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition and the public face of a new kind
of grown-up bicycle activism.

Click for the entire article -
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/g/a/2005/05/25/gree.DTL&type=printable

E-bulletin #4 Sponsor:
Emerging Vehicles

Growing a responsible and profitable business demonstrating, selling and
leasing environmentally advanced vehicles in which people will move
safely, cleanly and efficiently in their daily lives.

  http://emergingvehicles.com/

email: jeff at bikethehub.org
phone: 617-939-3824
web: http://www.bikethehub.org