[*BCM*] MassBike To Blame For Biker Awareness

Robert Arnold rsarnold at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 14:44:21 EDT 2005

>Similarly, I like the idea of making ALL traffic laws apply to ALL types
>of vehicles equally.  Then the safety issues of individual vehicle
>designs can be dealt with seperately (but they should all include
>things like lights, brakes, and good visibility).  Equality breeds
>respect, in my experience.

Unfortunately, bikes simply aren't the same as cars or trucks or
busses, etc. We can't move as quickly. We're much more susceptible to
debris in the roadway and potholes. We are less dangerous to ourselves
and to innocent bystanders. There are different laws for different
classes of motorized vehicles, so why not different laws for
non-motorized vehicles? Pretending that bikes are the same thing as
cars seems disingenuous to me, and misguided. And it's equally
misguided to crack down on "bicycle offenses" like headlights without
first showing some enforcement of laws that actually help cyclists.

Rob