[*BCM*] MassBike To Blame For Biker Awareness

turtle turtle at zworg.com
Sat Jul 23 21:47:21 EDT 2005

Some stuff you may not know:

Boston Critical Mass <list at bostoncriticalmass.org> wrote:

> *  Elimination of "Obstructing the Flow of Traffic" ordinances, which are
> used almost exclusively against cyclists out here in the 'burbs - cyclists
> Must be allowed to take the lane at any and all times;

There is no such ordinance that legally applies to bicyclists.  Any
application of such a "law" is illegal, and a good lawyer will enforce
this if it ever happens (as it has happened in a couple of states
within the past few years).

> *  Elevating road rage incidents to "assault with a deadly weapon" status;

Technically, current law can already can be applied this way, though
it's not automatic.

> *  Free bike registration as a further deterrent to theft;

Already available in some places.  Somerville has just such a program
that most people (including the cops) don't know about.

> *  Defining a class of electric/electric-assist micro-vehicles, and enacting
> legislation facilitating their development and proliferation;

Similarly, I like the idea of making ALL traffic laws apply to ALL types
of vehicles equally.  Then the safety issues of individual vehicle
designs can be dealt with seperately (but they should all include
things like lights, brakes, and good visibility).  Equality breeds
respect, in my experience.

> (note:  Definitions: Non-violence: Refusal to respond to violence with
> violence.  Anti-violence: taking non-violent action to prevent violence, and
> responding to violence in a non-violent manner.)

Yep.  See my sig quote...

-Turtle

------
"One day we must come to see that peace is not merely a distant goal we
seek, but that it is a means by which we arrive at that goal.  We must
pursue peaceful ends through peaceful means." - Martin Luther King Jr.