[*BCM*] MassBike To Blame For Biker Harassment

Ian Thistle idiotkid at gmail.com
Sat Jul 23 15:30:54 EDT 2005

On 7/23/05, Thomas John Vitolo <tjvitolo at bu.edu> wrote:

> > =v= This response sidesteps the issue of harassment, which is
> > much worse than the "did something against the law" infraction.
>
> At the end of the day, its not clear that you can argue that a stepped up
> police
> enforcement on bicycle infractions is selective enforcement, since
> cyclists are
> made up of the entire spectrum of society -- spanning race, gender, age,
> wealth,
> etc. Sure, there are probably more men riding bikes than women, but I'd
> bet
> that there are more miles driven by men than women too.

The point is that "cyclists," while they may be made of different
demographics (a point which I'd question - most people I see riding bikes
are young and look to be lower-to-middle class, which makes sense in Boston
because it would include many people who don't own cars), are their own
demographic in and of themselves. If cyclists are pulled over more
frequently than cars for arguably less dangerous infractions, which it seems
recently they have been, then that is an example of selective enforcement.