[*BCM*] MassBike To Blame For Biker Harassment

David Deitch deitchde at gmail.com
Sat Jul 23 12:07:04 EDT 2005

What I think we are forgetting is that riding unlawfully was not well
enforced in the past. Now that the police have been asked to pay more
attention to cyclists violating the rules of the road, some feel as if they
are being harassed. Though I don't have much of an affinity for 'the man,' I
am glad that cyclists are being asked for ID and are getting tickets for
unlawful riding. This means that all road users are going be held more
equally accountable for their actions. When I ride, I ride lawfully. No
running of red lights, stop signs, or riding the wrong way on one-way
streets. Surely it makes my trips a bit longer, but my likelihood of getting
hit by a car or getting a ticket drops. Want to ride however you want? Fine.
I don't care if you put yourself at risk; don't put me at risk.