[*BCM*] Is An E-Bike A Real Bike?

David Hammond dabbotthammond at comcast.net
Fri Jan 28 17:16:21 EST 2005

IMHO:

If either pedals or an electric motor, or both, can propel the thing, then
yes, call it a bike, in the specific meaning of "bicycle".

If it has no pedals, but two wheels, it's still a bike in the colloquial
sense that a Harley is referred to as a bike.

I have two electric-assist bicycles. Both derive their battery charge-ups
from solar power.  At this point in time both the federal government and the
state of Massachusetts refuse to call them bicycles (their motor-only top
speeds are too fast), but also refuse to let me register them as mopeds,
something I'm very willing to do, btw.  You folks can call my bikes Elmer
and Daffy, for all I care (that would be kinda cool, in a way), but it's the
government's appellation that determines whether the cops can confiscate
them, say during a CM ride.  I and my partner put too much B,S&T (not to
mention money) into their creation to risk that.  When I ride by myself, out
here in the 'burbs, the local constabulary is oblivious.  I just slow down
and pedal.  The bikes look too weird for them to even notice the motor and
batteries, anyway.  And I carry a Dunkie's six-pack in the panniers just in
case.....

I'd LOVE to join in a CM ride, but the chances that I'd lose the bike make
me chicken out.  I'll wait 'til either the state or the feds wises up.

Dave Hammond
Voltaia Design Cooperative