[*BCM*] Storrow Drive Tunnel and Esplanade

Thomas Vitolo tjvitolo at bu.edu
Fri Dec 16 15:00:50 EST 2005

I ride from west of Kenmore Square to MIT and back three times a week.
When I ride to MIT, I ride along the Esplanade.  Not because I'm afraid
of cars, but because it's *faster* than riding along Comm Ave/Beacon St
toward Mass Ave.  Sure, I've got to ride over Storrow and then ride up
the ramp to the Mass Ave Bridge, but no intersections really boost
speed.  Plus, it's far more pleasant.

On the way home, I stick to the roads, because it's too much of a pain
in the arse to cross over 4 lanes of Mass Ave while on the bridge, going
from southbound to northbound so I can access the ramp.

If city planners want to keep bicyclists off the road, the best way is
with the carrot -- imagine a car-free intersection-free "Esplanade" a
block parallel to Mass Ave.  Cycling through the city would be much more
pleasant and quicker!

The Esplanade isn't in competition with road-riding for cyclists.  It
compliments road-riding.  Don't be a hammer and look at things like a
world of nails.  Choose the tool that best suits the job, and for
east/west riding near the river, the Esplanade is by far the best choice
as measured in terms of time, pleasantness, and safety.  My hope is that
the city and state continue to improve the Esplanade, and that cyclists
continue to choose the best path, which includes both bicycle paths and
city streets.

Be safe brother,
 - stomv