[*BCM*] Storrow Drive Tunnel and Esplanade

Thomas John Vitolo tjvitolo at bu.edu
Fri Dec 16 10:03:10 EST 2005

I wouldn't be opposed to temporarily rerouting cars onto the Esplanade, and I
doubt that there will be another solution, to be honest.

That said, what I suspect will happen is that when they look to cut costs,
they'll do it in such a way that harm pedestrians, cyclists, and other
park-goers the most.  They won't put up enough Jersey barricades during
construction.  They'll half-ass connecting paths for cyclists.  They'll continue
to not clear the ice on the Esplanade paths.

When they're done, they won't restore things completely.  They'll cut cost.

And, after non-car-users have given up use of a section of the Esplanade for a
year or three or five, they won't even get things back the way they gave them up
one or three or five years ago.

So, how it *should* work, in my opinion:
In return for losing Esplanade sections for a period of time, the city/state should:
 * Improve the area of the Esplanade near Charlesgate.  We're squished right
next to the cars, and it's loud, full of exhaust and fumes, and dangerous due to
dust and pebbles being kicked up at us.
 * Improve other areas of the Esplanade to reduce the noise from cars, or better
yet to use landscaping so that parkgoers don't even see cars on Storrow.  It
would make the place more peaceful, more quiet, and more healthy.
 * Replace the decrepit staired footbridge over Storrow near BU with a new,
ramped footbridge.
 * Fix the water fountains.

And I'm sure there's more.  The Esplanade could use an infusion of cash to help
isolate it from Storrow Drive.  The citizens of Boston deserve it.

 - stomv

Support a few technologists in Washington.  Go to:
http://actblue.com/list/stomv