[*BCM*] Take a hint

Robotica androidqueen at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 15:03:02 EDT 2005

well, sure, those people who think that CM is fundamentally a bad idea
probably aren't in agreement that it's a fun ride, but i would guess
that those people are in a minority on this list and probably wouldn't
consider themselves a part of the anti-organization that is critical
mass.

so let's just look at the goals of people who do, or would like to,
ride in CM.  obviously, CM is not an organization, so it doesn't have
concrete, stated goals, but we as people do have a few things in
common:

1. we like to ride our bikes.  we like to ride them where we like.

2. we would like to be able to ride in boston safely and without
receiving regular abuse from other users of the road.

3. (this may not be true of everyone here, so correct me if you
disagree.) we would like to see other people biking rather than
driving, when possible.

aside from these very basic goals, many of us differ.  some of us
would like to use the ride to slow car traffic and some would not.
some of us think more enforcement of bike traffic laws is in order and
some do not.  that's fine.  but we should remember that,
fundamentally, we're on the same side here, and there's something to
be said for working together towards these group goals and, while
feeling free to express our different opinions on other goals, doing
so in a respectful way.  we all want to improve conditions for bikers
on the roads, and we're not going to do that if we're too busy taking
jabs at each other.

solidarity, man.

-m