[*BCM*] Take a hint

Robert Arnold rsarnold at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 14:15:02 EDT 2005

Speaking of camaraderie...

Don't get me wrong, I'm as negative as the next guy, but I've been thinking
lately that positivity in the Mass seems to have a better effect on
onlookers (not to mention other Massers) and helps them to see us less as
aggressors. This month and last month there were copious high-fives from
pedestrians and even people in cars. Perhaps as a result, August's Mass
seemed to be the least incident-prone of any Mass I've been to recently. I'm
wondering if we can take this positivity up a level. It'd be great to see an
a-political flier (to hand out to drivers, etc.) that succinctly and
politely stated our goals for the ride and thanking them for their patience
and understanding. Something along these lines:

Side 1: "Show the love!" (image of heart or something awesome!)
Side 2: "Hi! Thank you for your patience! We know it's frustrating to wait
for all of us bikers, but we're riding to raise awareness and there's no
other way we can do it. You know what it's like to drive in this town.
Imagine being on a bike. Yikes! So help us out a little: show your support
every day by giving us some space when you pass and remembering we belong on
the road too. Thanks!!"

All we'd need is five or six "Goodwill Ambassadors" to hand these babies out
at blocked intersections. It won't diffuse all anger, but it might help put
a positive face to CM in at least a few people's eyes, and it'll give
drivers something to do while they're waiting and waiting and waiting for
the Mass to pass...

Rob