[*BCM*] benefit show

rkorobki at haverford.edu rkorobki at haverford.edu
Mon Aug 15 17:09:04 EDT 2005

hi friends,

i just received an e-mail from a friend describing the recent arrests of
a number of Mountain Justice Summer activists who were campaigning to end
strip mining in Tennessee.
Bail has been set at $10,000 and as the activists need money asap, we're
throwing together a very last-minute EMERGENCY BENEFIT CONCERT.  It's
THIS wednesday in Cambridge, and we'll need all the help we can get with
promotion, so please please please tell your friends and come if you can.
We are still looking for bands to play, so get in touch if you've got one.

> EMERGENCY BENEFIT FOR MOUNTAIN JUSTICE SUMMER LEGAL COSTS
> This Wednesday, August 17th
> @ The Harvard Social Forum
> 45 Mount Auburn Street, Cambridge MA
> Doors at 5:30pm. $5-whatever sliding scale donation.
> With: Evan Greer, The Cliches, and other bands TBA.
> Please come support fellow activists who have been arrested while attempting
> to defend the earth from exploitation and ecocide.
> Contact: evan at riotfolk.org or call 978-852-6457

 while strip mining may not seem at first like an issue that directly
relates to cycling activism, I feel like the movements have a lot of the
same ideals.  strip mining desecrates the envrionment and destroys
appalachian communities to get coal that gets used in the kind of
industrial production of automobiles and heavy machinery that we as
cyclists tend to oppose. it's an issue that affects all of us, and it'd
be great if you could come party with us on wednesday.

solidarity,
rob korobkin