[*BCM*] MassBike Mid-September Update

Dorie Clark bikexec at massbike.org
Thu Sep 16 11:11:38 EDT 2004

Bike Night: October 18, 2004. Register Now!

MassBike’s 5th Annual Bike Night—on Monday, October 18—is shaping up to be
the best ever, with Massachusetts Secretary of Commonwealth Development Doug
Foy speaking, and State Senator Jarrett Barrios and comedian Jimmy Tingle
receiving Influence Pedaler awards. We’ll be gathering from 6:00-8:00 p.m.
at Ryles in Cambridge. Our silent auction includes fun items to bid on,
including a private tour and tasting at the Harpoon Brewery; effective
cycling classes; jackets from EMS; Spanish lessons from the Boston Area
Spanish Exchange; and more. Reserve your space now--tickets are only $25,
and of course bicycle valet parking is included! Bike Night is brought to
you in part by our friends in the business community: Major Sponsor
Stonyfield Farm/O’Naturals; the law firm of Jason & Fischer at the Sponsor
level; and at the Supporter level, Seyfarth Shaw LLP; Landry’s Bicycles; and
the Charles River TMA.

Click here for more information and to register
http://www.active.com/event_detail.cfm?event_id=1165669
-------------------------------
Volunteer Night: Wednesday, September 29

MassBike relies on our volunteers to help us make a difference for cycling,
and we need your help now! On Wednesday, September 29, we’ll be gathering
from 6:00-9:00 p.m. at the law office of Robinson and Cole in downtown
Boston to make phone calls to other MassBike members. This is a major push
to tell people about Bike Night and remind them to renew their memberships.
Come for great company, free pizza, and plenty of coffee, tea, and soda.
Please RSVP to mike at massbike.org.
---------------------------------
Donate to Bike Night

It’s not too late for you or your company to make a donation of new products
or services for MassBike’s silent auction! Whether you’re a florist or a
bike shop owner, we need your help and donations to make Bike Night a
success—just email mike at massbike.org. We’re also working hard to raise
$10,000 in pledges for Bike Night and are nearly halfway to our goal, thanks
to generous supporters like you. If you’d like to make a real difference to
MassBike and cycling in Massachusetts, sign up as an official event sponsor
by

Clicking here
http://www.active.com/donations/campaign_public.cfm?key=bikenight
---------------------------------

Other Volunteer Help Needed

Want to help at Bike Night (and get in free)? We need assistance with setup,
cleanup, valet bike parking, and more. Please email bikexec at massbike.org.

We always have data entry and envelope stuffing that needs to be done during
the business day. If you’re a student, retired, or have a flexible daytime
schedule, please email bikexec at massbike.org.
--------------------------------
Make MassBike Your Date! (To Business Gatherings)

Are you a member of a Chamber of Commerce, Rotary or Kiwanis Club, or other
networking group? MassBike is trying to expand our contacts in the business
community and would love to come along with you. Whether you live in Boston
or the Berkshires, we would love to meet the people you know and spread the
word about MassBike among decision-makers and community leaders. Please
email bikexec at massbike.org.
--------------------------------
Paid Landscaper/Bicyclist Needed

MassBike, in conjunction with the Wald Family, is looking for an eager
landscaper to help take care of the John Wald Memorial site on the Minuteman
Commuter Bikeway near the Alewife T stop. We seek someone who will come
monthly (or as needed) during the growing season (May-Sept) to rake stone
dust, weed, repair and maintain edging, prune where necessary (keep path to
river clear, dead branches, bushes, etc.), pick up trash, notify us of any
vandalism (clean it up where possible), and potentially buy and plant.

Ideally, the applicant would have a gas-powered weed whacker, and other
landscaping tools, as well as landscaping knowledge/experience (knowing a
weed from a plant, how and what to prune, etc.). Compensation: $15-20/hr,
depending upon experience and background. Time required is negotiable, but
probably in the range of 3 to 6 hours/month. Interested parties should email
bikexec at massbike.org.

You can see information about John Wald and the memorial here
http://www.massbike.org/people/johnwald/
------------------------------
Miscellaneous

Come pay a visit to MassBike’s booths this weekend at the Nashua River Rail
Trail celebration in Ayer and the AltWheels Festival at the Larz Anderson
Transportation Museum in Brookline. MassBike board member David
Loutzenheiser will be speaking on an AltWheels panel discussion, and board
member Doug Mink is leading rides.

Boston Globe journalist Chris Berdik passes along his thanks to everyone who
wrote in with their anecdotes about biking in the Boston area. His City
Weekly story on bicycling, originally slated for Sunday, September 12, has
been moved to this Sunday, September 19.

Our friends at Groundwork Somerville need volunteers to do wildflower
planting on the Somerville Community Path on Saturday, September 18 from 1-5
pm (the rain date is Sunday, Sept. 19 from 9am-1pm). Help fill the Cedar
Street entrance to the path with 500 colorful native wildflowers! Contact
Jennifer Hill at jmhill at GroundworkSomerville.org

New Member Benefits! Before you make your fall vacation plans, check out our
B&B partners website to find establishments which support cycling and give a
10% discount to MassBike members. New additions in the past two weeks
include the Acworth Inn Bed & Breakfast in Cummaquid; the Ashley Inn in
Edgartown, Martha’s Vineyard; and The Farmhouse in West Tisbury, Martha’s
Vineyard.

Click here to see our more than 20 B&B partners across Massachusetts
http://www.massbike.org/memship/bb.htm