[*BCM*] cyclist killed at train crossing

Dan Barrett dbx at sack.dreamhost.com
Thu Oct 14 09:56:43 EDT 2004

/*
Note the key part: Beverly's ban on train whistles cannot be reviewed,
because the accident did involve a car
*/

Bicyclist, 14, killed near train crossing
Officials say boy rode around gate

By Steven Rosenberg and Mac Daniel, Globe Staff  |  October 14, 2004

BEVERLY -- Darting away from his mother and younger sister yesterday while
riding his mountain bike to school, 14-year-old David Siljeholm rode
around the dropped arms and blinking lights of a railroad crossing gate
and was struck by an inbound MBTA commuter train, dying instantly,
authorities said.

Siljeholm, whose family recently moved from Melrose to
Manchester-by-the-Sea, died about 50 yards from the crossing at Hale and
West streets in Beverly Farms at about 7:45 a.m., with his mother and
sister arriving at the scene seconds later, unaware of what had happened,
officials said.

Beverly is one of the communities in Massachusetts that have been granted
state permission to enact whistle bans and opt out of regulations that
require trains to sound their whistles for at least three blasts before
every street-level railroad crossing. That means that no whistle was
sounded as the commuter train approached Siljeholm, according to
preliminary reports on the accident by the Federal Railroad Administration
and the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority.

Joe Santoro, who was working on a road construction project near the
crossing, said he heard the accident and immediately rushed toward the
train.

"I heard a loud crack, and I said to my truck driver, 'The train just hit
something,' " he said. "Then we saw papers floating down, and we ran over
and saw the bicycle and the kid on the tracks."

Seconds later, he said, he watched the boy's mother and sister cross the
tracks on their bicycles. "She came up and said, 'What happened?' "
Santoro said. "I told her some kid just got hit by a train, and she said,
'Oh my God, that's my son.' "

Steve O'Connell, spokesman for Essex District Attorney Jonathan W.
Blodgett, said yesterday that the accident remains under investigation.

"He had sprinted ahead of us," said the boy's mother, Anita Siljeholm, who
was accompanying her son and daughter, Marian, to school when the accident
occurred.

According to O'Connell and officials of the MBTA and the railroad
administration, the gates at the crossing were down, and warning lights
were flashing at the time of the accident. The MBTA and the federal agency
also said bells were ringing.

The accident occurred less than a mile from the Cape Ann Waldorf School in
Beverly Farms, a private elementary and middle school where Siljeholm was
in the eighth grade. School officials said that parents, students, and
faculty were reeling from the news.

"He was the kind of son every mother would want to have," Anita Siljeholm
said in a brief interview in front of the school. "He was a wonderful,
warm, kind, intelligent, loving child. We will always, always remember
that and honor him; honor his kindness and his humor and his wisdom. He
was a wise child."

In addition to his mother and sister, the teenager leaves his father, Jorn
Siljeholm, a researcher at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology who
worked in Iraq as a United Nations weapons inspector prior to the US
invasion; and a brother, Eivind.

By midmorning, parents had flocked to the Waldorf School, where stunned
students hugged one another and grief counselors mingled in classrooms and
hallways. Federal Railroad Administration spokesman Warren Flatau said
yesterday that the fatal accident at Hale Street probably will have no
impact the community's ban on train whistles, because it involved a
bicycle and not a motor vehicle.

If the accident had involved a motor vehicle, Flatau said, the ban could
have been reviewed.

Peter Johnson -- who with his wife, Joan, established a website,
www.beverly-blast.org, which opposes federal efforts to eliminate whistle
bans -- lives about three-quarters of a mile from where the accident
occurred.

He said he was disturbed by news of Siljeholm's death. "It causes me
pause," he said. "I'm really distraught for the parents."

He added, however, that he still supports banning whistles and pointed out
that opponents are not arguing against them on safety grounds. If the
whistle ban was not in place, Johnson said, there would be 2,040 whistle
blasts per day in Beverly. One alternative for safety at the crossings, he
said, would be to install four-way crossing gates at all 17 crossings in
Beverly, at an estimated cost of $225,000 each.

Beverly has 17 at-grade crossings, the largest number in the state,
Johnson said. Whistles are banned at all of the intersections. According
to Federal Railroad Administration records, Beverly has had no accidents
the agency classified as relevant in the five years before December 2003.
Since 1975, the earliest year of data in the railroad administration's
federal accident database, there have been no fatal accidents at the
crossing where Siljeholm died, Flatau said.