[*BCM*] Special rights?

Jym Dyer jym at econet.org
Wed Oct 13 17:22:35 EDT 2004

=v= Hey, this is great info!  Thanks for posting it.  Two
comments, though.

=1= I think the UTC includes (or included?) a "bicyclists may
not ride more than two abreast" provision.  California,
thankfully, has not adopted this, but some other states have.

> The highway planners couldn't just kick bikes off the roads,
> because those 1887 laws and court decisions were still in
> operation ...

=2= Some of the thanks for this goes back even further, all the
way to the Magna Carta!  English Common Law is the oldest legal
precedent in the U.S. (predating the Constitution), and it says
that if a road had allowed people to use it, that right exists
in perpetuity.  It's been adopted as the law in every state but
Louisiana (which uses French Civil Law), modulo whatever the
various state legislatures come up with specifically.
    <_Jym_>